David Bendeth has been making records that break records since 1977. He is the producer behind rock megastars like Paramore, Beartooth, All Time Low, Breaking Benjamin, Red Jump Suit Apparatus, and a first call for projects as large as Elvis’30 #1s.
Enter, The Warning. In 2014 (at ages 9 and 14), the Villarreal Vélez sisters started making waves in the independent rock scene by releasing their cover of “Enter Sandman” by Metallica. The video went viral on YouTube and gained the attention of Metallica themselves. After creating their first full-length in 2017 and touring with bands like The Killers, the band signed with Lava Records in 2020, who recruited first-call rock producer/magician David Bendeth to help craft their first major label release.
In this Puremix exclusive, David takes you to the incredible lakefront studio, where he has helped create countless hits and loads up the original session for “The Warning.” From the recall process to printing the final mix, David explains the process behind every move on the giant SSL console, his signature outboard gear, and the Pro Tools session.
See how David Bendeth:
- Recalls an analog session with a massive arsenal of outboard gear
- Explains the entire story of the recording, from preproduction to the final mixing sessions
- Stays fresh throughout a long mixing session
- Explains his approach to room mic techniques
- Discusses the bass guitar setup
- Explains how they achieved a massive sound while tuned to 440 and when he chooses alternate tunings
- Breaks down his approach to doubling guitars
- Explains when he uses his outboard vocal stressor in parallel to accentuate individual words and detail on the lead vocal
- Deconstructs each of his effect returns and workflow for automating effects throughout the track
- Discusses why he didn’t use stereo bus compression on this track
- Talks about the importance of changing the vocal mic for the background vocals versus the lead vocals
- Gives the story of how they played the verse guitar part backward and then reversed it to add dimension to verse 2
- Mixes the song from scratch and explains every automation move
Watch David Bendeth, mix “Money” from The Warning. Only on pureMix.net
tim.ka •Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Reading through the reviews I understand that many would like to have the video translated into Spanish? I put this question to Bard (Google’s Chat GPT) and it confirmed that it would be capable of taking an audio file of English and translating it into Spanish text.
I’m sure the results would be reliable considering the entire foundation of LLM (AI) are founded in language translations.
nicojaravi •Monday, May 15, 2023
cheyo1989 •Friday, May 12, 2023
Spanish subtitles please
Juan Valeriano Benavides •Sunday, May 7, 2023
"In a world of appearances, honesty is frowned upon."
It's a pity that we can't learn from your video tutorial because Puremix doesn't deign to translate it into a language as widespread as Spanish.
Is that better, David?
Thomas Illgen •Sunday, May 7, 2023
Excellent job David and Mike! I learned a lot about the mixing process. Both Mike and David provided clear explanations along the way. Great band, song, engineer and producer!
vanaeken •Tuesday, May 2, 2023
Amazing how you give all of this practical knowledge that so many people does not have the oportunity to have! Thank you!
zach_t.f •Wednesday, April 19, 2023
Thank you David and everyone involved in this excellent display of mastery.!
david.su •Saturday, April 15, 2023
i like that, it was great for me to hear the ssl 9000 k also and the lexicon & ams
Wreckingroom •Thursday, April 13, 2023
Great Job! Very inspiring to get under the hood and see David's process. I took several things away that I can apply to my process. Thanks!
P.S. He has a great Radio Voice!!
PiBoy •Saturday, April 8, 2023
Ninguna Salio tocando ni sale nada que te pueda ayudar.
emmbcult •Saturday, April 1, 2023
andrew.r •Friday, March 31, 2023
Pascal Mersch •Thursday, March 30, 2023
Amazing David Thanks for this Series, please mor from David
jessrho •Thursday, March 30, 2023
Thanks David, super informative, such feel ! Great to see his mixing process but i would have loved to see more about how he actually got the sounds, the eq and compressor choices and settings etc..