Grammy award winner Mick Guzauski teaches you how to create balance and add life to a track using subtle and intentional moves to craft a perfect mix. Learn how to skillfully balance countless tracks and thoughtfully enhance the producer’s vision for Ady Suleiman’s song “What’s The Score”.
This tutorial is for any engineer or producer looking for techniques they can use to create definition and clarity in their mixes.
See how an award winning mix engineer first creates a solid instrumental foundation and then gets the vocals to stand out while still sounding and feeling completely natural in the mix.
In this 2 hour tutorial, Mick shows you how to:
- Setup and arrange his mixing sessions
- EQ and compress the drums one by one
- Layer live drums with sequenced drums so they compliment each other sonically
- Add more attack and low end to the drums without using compression or EQ
- Blend together multiple layers of guitars and add stereo width using chorus effects
- Level management and gain staging to keep your faders in the sweet spot
- Use small .5dB or 1dB moves to add and subtract just the right amount shape to tracks
- Create dimension, clarity, and depth to the vocals with Mick’s signature vocal mixing tricks
- Tweak reverb templates and presets to create a soundstage for elements of the mix to sit in
- Mix bus EQ and compression to add the last bit of polish and glue to the entire mix
- Automating levels and adding the finishing touches to the mix
If you want to see how a professional mix engineer crafts a killer pop mix and learn tips and tricks that will inspire you to try something new on your next mix, then you need to watch Mick Guzauski mixing Ady Suleiman.
Please note: This tutorial does not include the multitrack stems as per the artist’s request.