For the past four decades, Producer and Engineer Joe Chiccarelli has been behind the console for some of the industry's most influential records, from Frank Zappa to The Strokes, The Killers, Counting Crows, Jason Mraz, Morrisey, and countless more.
In this puremix.net exclusive, Joe opens up the multitrack from "Guardian" and remixes it from scratch, explaining every mix decision, patch, eq move, and fader ride, along with the story of the song's origin of how it went from demo to chart-topping hit.
Watch as Joe:
- Explains how the record went from a home studio project to a full-blown studio production with her band at Sunset Sound
- Explains how he starts a mix from scratch, sets up a rough balance, and creates a plan for where he will take the mix
- Breaks down each of his parallel compression busses, including a pair of distressors, a Neve 33609, and a Chandler TG-1 Limiter
- Adds size to the stack of rhythm guitars with Sunset Sound Studio A's built-in console API 550A EQs and parallel compression from a pair of Daking FET compressors
- Adds an outboard Pultec EQ, a Universal LA-3 compressor, and an 1176 parallel compressor to the lead vocal
- Adds a primetime delay, plate reverb, AMS DMX 15, and the Sunset Sound Studio A Chamber to the lead vocal
- Adds a Smart C1 Compressor and Chandler Curve Bender EQ to the stereo bus
- Does multiple detailed passes on the console's flying fader automation to craft the perfect balance and create engaging transitions from section to section of the song.
This is your chance to sit next to Joe Chiccarelli as he mixes "Guardian" by Alanis Morrissette in Sunset Sound's Studio A.