Learn how Grammy winner Ryan Hewitt mixes the pop-punk superstars Blink 182
Building on the foundation and starting point from Ryan's Mixing Template Tutorial, in this tutorial Ryan walks you through his mixing process step by step revealing his techniques and workflow for creating a killer mix.
Ryan teaches his methods and thought process that goes into crafting punchy, clear and thick mixes that stays true to the band’s signature sonic attitude.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn dozens of tips and tricks on:
- Tracking songs with the end result in mind and working with the loudest drummer in the world
- Bringing the details forward and creating louder and more exciting mixes
- Combining analog and digital processing with hardware inserts and analog summing
- Using stereo and group bus processing to make processing each individual track easier
- Trying out creative ideas and making decisions that drive mixes towards the finish line
- Creating space and size around vocals that make them sound larger than life
- Automating a mix to create moments and energy that is essential for a final mix
- Printing mixes for clients and for mastering within the same session
Get inspired by seeing how a multi-platinum mixing engineer transforms raw tracks into a finished mix.
Learn from Ryan’s attention to detail and focus on the sonic vision for the song and apply his tricks and tips to your mixes.