Darrell Thorp has been trusted to record and mix studio albums for artists like Radiohead, The Foo Fighters, Beck and dozens more in some of the best rooms in the world. So when Foster The People needed someone to record a live performance for them, they knew who to call.
As the demand increases for bands to produce more content in the streaming age, so does the need for recording and mixing engineers to rise up to the challenge of capturing an electrifying real-time performance and delivering it to the world.
In this two and a half hour long tutorial, Darrell shows you how he overcame the challenges associated with mixing a live performance video for the indie rock band, Foster The People.
See how Darrell:
- Compensates for a boomy acoustic venue
- Identifies and corrects polarity and phase issues
- Levels out inconsistent drums
- Mixes the bands triggered samples with live acoustic drums
- Befriends the bleed in the vocal and stage microphones