Grammy Award Winning Producer, Engineer, and Mixer, Jacquire King, has worked with some of the world’s most influential artists in every role you can imagine in a recording studio. From being an acclaimed recordist to mixing and producing multi-platinum records (9X in the case of Kings Of Leon) by superstars like Kaleo, Modest Mouse, Kings of Leon, Tom Waits, Norah Jones, Buddy Guy, Cold War Kids, MuteMath, Melissa Etheridge, and James Bay.
In this puremix.net exclusive, Jacquire King recalls the session for James Bay’s “Let It Go” and breaks down each element of the song; discussing the decisions he made as the producer while he creates his mix with expansive detail on his approach to topics such as:
- Mix architecture and routing
- Reducing track counts and removing extraneous tracks
- Reference meters
- Mixing acoustic and electronic percussion elements
- Polarity and phase relationships to ensure the speakers are “pushing” and not “pulling”
- Gain staging the 2 bus
- Eq'ing the 2 bus
- The importance of automation to add movement to your mixes
Once you have seen how Jacquire approaches this well-crafted song, download the actual stems and practice what you have learned.
Watch Jacquire King mixing James Bay's "Let It Go", only on puremix.net