Watch as Grammy-winning engineer John Paterno mixes Steve Gadd Band's track Green Foam from scratch. Being both the recording and mixing engineer on this project, John shares his insights on the tracking process and how to add more color and energy in the mix.
In this 2 hour tutorial, John teaches you how to creatively bring an instrumental blues song to life with a very thoughtful and deliberate mix. The beauty of this song is its simplicity, it's 5 of LA's best session players jamming out in a basement studio.
See how he works step by step and shows you how to:
- Create a musical, intelligible and unique sounding mix with some of the best musicians in the world
- Check and correct phase between drum mics then finding the balance for a natural sounding drum kit
- Enhance the tone and musical qualities of the bass
- Give space and life to the guitars and keyboards
- Make space for each instrument to be heard clearly in the mix
- Add just the right amount of compression and Eq to a jazz mix that thrives on dynamics
- Mentally balance between the best qualities and vibe of the rough mix and the freedom to sonically explore during the mixing process without getting lost in the possibilities
This is your chance to see how a professional mixing engineer uses his experience and taste to create a great and modern sounding jazz mix.
The best part is that you can also download the partial stems for the song and mix it for yourself. Put your skills to the test and apply some of your new found techniques.