Over the past few decades, Matt Ross-Spang has made a name for himself by creating some of today's most treasured recordings, by drawing on his love for the history of recording and adding what's he has learned from records of the past to his personal sonic signature to bring intention, personality, and vibe to some of the world's most treasured musical talent.
In this pureMix.net Exclusive, multi-award-winning Producer, Mixer, and Engineer, Matt Ross-Spang, takes us into the live room of Studio A at the incredible Sam Phillips Recording in Memphis, TN, and walks us through his entire process of setting up a band to record live off the floor.
Watch as Matt:
- Discusses drum choice with former Wilco drummer and Nashville based producer, Ken Coomer
- Tweaks the kit in the room, as opposed to through the microphones using different beaters, dampening tools, and drum tunings
- Breaks down his microphone selection process on the drum kit
- Explains his technique for using minimal micing techniques on drums and his placement of drums in the booth to find the perfect tone
- Demonstrates the unique gain staging of the modules from his Spectrasonics console
- Dials in the drum tones in the control room
- Mics up the bass amp and compares with the DI tone to choose the best option within the context of the song
- Dials in the bass tone with legendary Memphis bass player, Leeroy Hodges
- Talks about the importance of choosing the correct players for the project
- Explains his approach to micing Charles Hodges' Leslie cabinet on the Hammond B3 Organ
- Chooses specific microphones on the different instruments and vocalists to EQ before reaching the console, as well as match the vibe of the track
- Explains the importance of being out in the live room with the players
Join Matt Ross-Spang, Eli "Paperboy" Reed, The Hodges Brothers, Ken Koomer, and The Masqueraders inside the legendary Sam Phillips Recording in Memphis, TN for an incredible recording event, from Start To Finish.