Equalizers are the most commonly used and misunderstood tool in an engineer’s toolkit.
The ability to bend, shape and carve frequencies at-will is an audio superpower not to be taken lightly. It’s important that sound engineers understand what is going on behind the knobs and fully understand the impact of what every EQ parameter can have on a sound.
In this tutorial, Grammy winner Fab Dupont explains everything you need to know about:
- Fully Parametric and Semi-Parametric EQ
- High and Low Shelves
- Bell curves and Q settings
- High Pass and Low Pass filters (aka Low Cut and High Cut filters)
- Frequency graphs
- Analog vs Digital EQs
- Personal tastes (sonically) and how to find the right tools to match
- The subtle differences between the hundred of different EQs available
Learn the theory and concepts you need to know about EQ controls and parameters so no matter what EQ is put in front of you, you’ll be able to mold the sound to your liking with no second guessing.