Andrew Scheps is behind some of the recent years' most energetic rock mixes. He is a first-call mixer when artists want an intense and powerful mix with credits like Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, Jay Z, Michael Jackson, and countless others.
Energetic and powerful does not just mean loud guitars and blistering synths, though; Andrew also has extreme versatily and knows how to connect listeners emotionally with dynamics, detail, and space.
In this puremix.net exclusive, Andrew opens up the multitrack for the gorgeous single "Another Chance" by My Brightest Diamond. He explains his history with the artist, every mix decision, plugin, and treatment on the mix as he deconstructs the production track by track.
See how Andrew Scheps:
- Gives the backstory of his relationship with Shara Nova, aka My Brightest Diamond and explains how having to pass on mixing a record for her was one of the final nails in the coffin for him to decide to mix in the box
- Demonstrates how he pushes the drums to the back of the mix and fades them into oblivion as the song ends
- Uses the bleed on the tom mics to contribute to the overall tone of the snare drum
- Breaks down the Poly Fusion bass synth and explains how the thump button of Scheps Omnichannel originated with the Helios EQ
- Explains how he used delay to send the ending guitars into the ether instead of doing a volume fade
- Shows each piece of the keyboard arrangement and how the sounds are used to create scene changes between sections of the song
- Discusses every piece of the lead vocal signal chain, the multiple reverbs, delay, and the thought process behind the second, out of phase microphone blended into the track
- Goes through each track of background vocals and explains his approach to the multiple layers, including parallel processes and shared vocal effects
- Explains the Pultec -> LA2A -> Pultec chain
- Demonstrates the Rear Buss and explains its contribution to the mix
- Breaks down his mix bus chain and explains how he tweaked it for this particular song
Watch Andrew Scheps, mix "Another Chance" from My Brightest Diamond. Only on pureMix.net