Chris Lord Alge is one of the most renowned mixing engineers in the world. His style can be heard on records from legendary artists such as U2, Aerosmith, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, James Brown, The Who, Green Day and dozens more.
Those who study his work, know that Chris Lord-Alge is a champion of the famous SSL 4K console. He has mixed thousands of songs in the analog domain and amassed a literal wall of Grammys in his studio, Mix LA.
However, he has also created some of the world’s most popular plugins in the digital domain and has never been known to fear a digital workflow.
In this pureMix.net exclusive, we take CLA off of his SSL 4K and park him in the box, where he shows you how he:
- Translates his analog workflow with familiar routing and plugins
- Simplifies sessions for lightning fast mixing
- Maintains focus and perspective on the song and the story it tells to support the theme with the mix
- Sets up his 2bus chain inside of Pro Tools for the same feel of his hardware
- Adds creativity to the mix and explains his theory on artistic mixing
Once you have seen how CLA does it, download the stems for the full song and practice your new tricks.
Watch CLA replicate his sound in the box, mixing the song “Indestructible” by Vifolly.