The Teletronix LA-2A Optical compressor is one of the most venerable pieces of outboard gear in recording history. It has a compression behavior, tone and character that have made it an essential staple for engineers since its release in 1962.
In this puremix exclusive video, world renowned mixing engineer and producer, Fab Dupont, explains what makes the LA-2As compression behavior special, how to listen to the idiosyncrasies of the box, and demonstrates some lesser known features.
Learn how to listen to the Teletronix LA-2A compressor with A/B examples between different plugins and a hardware unit, and discover how to get the most out of this classic in your sessions.
See how Fab Dupont:
- Explains how optical compressors work
- Breaks down the controls of the LA-2A
- Discusses the unique release time characteristics of the LA-2A
- Explains the difference between the compress and limit modes
- Compares different Universal Audio Plugin emulations to his hardware LA-2A
- Explains the emphasis knob and how to use it
- Compares the LA-2A with an Oxford compressor to show the differences of an LA-2A
- Demonstrates the tone of simply running through the LA-2A without compression
- Shows how to use an LA-2A as a 2-bus compressor